Monday, May 08, 2006

The problem with writing letters

In this instant communication society, no one writes letters. We blog, email, text message, Nextel walkie-talkie, instant message - all of these consisting of one, maybe two sentences. Short sweet comments that are relevant at that moment. You want me to write a letter? With a beginning and a middle and an end? I have to come up with something to say that I haven't talked to you about in the last 48 hours via one of the speedy ways previously mentioned. I feel like I need to make an outline.

How about a funny Hallmark card? They have those new ones that play music. I could get one with a Pink Floyd song - "Wish You Were Here"

A postcard? Then you get a "wish you were here" message and picture of a fab skyline with Chicago! written on it all cursivy.

Or, I could just come visit. I could talk to you face to face and then I wouldn't have to worry about spelling or my handwriting or having to use white-out but trying to write over the liquid paper before it is completely dry so the pen gets all gunky and clogged and the paper is an eyesore so I just have to scribble over it which makes it look really messy. . .

Dammit - It's in the mail. You better write me back.

- lada

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must have good karma, cuz I'm reading this post immediately following dropping something in the mail for you. I'm such a bad-ass.