Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Green Eggs and What?

I like SPAM.
You heard me. I know, I know, it is meat in a can. I am not generally a pro-overprocessed meat kind of girl:
1) Bologna is just bad
2) You know when you reach into a package of hotdogs to pull one out and the raw hotdog juice gets on your hand and then no matter how many fruity soaps you use, your fingers smell like raw hotdogs for days. . . (shudder) I hate that
3) Those disk-like pieces of turkey that come in Lunchables are way too uniformly round for me (at least McNuggets come in two vaguely different shapes)

So why is SPAM different? Okay yes, I admit that the suction noise SPAM makes when (after giving it a couple good shakes) it plops out of the can coated in some jellied substance is odd. I agree with you - the fact that it comes in a variety of flavors (garlic, cheese, hot & spicy) does not give it a particularly stellar rating on the "meat quality scale". The thing about SPAM is it tastes really good; on toast with eggs - thrown on the grill covered in cheese (SPAMburger) - mixed up with hash browns and pan fried. Yum, yum!

(The reason lada is an anonymous blogger)
Two years ago I went to the SPAM Museum in Minnesota. My dad and I were helping Karen move from Seattle to Chicago (in a U-Haul) and Austin, MN was on the way. There was a movie about the history of SPAM, a display of the old packaging, and SPAM merchandise (Karen got a tee that says “SPAM Princess.”) Then we went to the restaurant across the street and had SPAM sandwiches and fries for lunch – tasty!

Recipes:
SPAM a L'orange
1 box Macaroni and Cheese
1 can SPAM (diced)
1 cup Tang

Hawaiian SPAM Sandwich
1 can of SPAM (sliced and browned)
Pineapple rings
Slices of cheddar cheese
Hamburger buns (toasted)

In Summery:
SPAM Ingredients: Chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, Salt (for binding, flavor, and firmness), Water (to help in mixing), Sugar (for flavor), Sodium Nitrite (for color and as a preservative)
A bargin at any price
TREET is not SPAM
SPAMalot- Best Musical, Winner 2005 Tony Award
"SPAM SPAM SPAM Humbug" (cheat code in Ultima IV)
Monty Python SPAM Skit

If you're ever on Jeopardy: Hormel Spiced Ham needed a catchier name. They came up with a cunning plan - they offered $100 prize for a new memorable name. The prize was won by a brother of a Hormel executive, when at a New Year's Eve party he suggested the name "SPAM". A legend was born.

adal & MAPS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Georgia you can pre-packaged opossum meat in a can.

In case you're interested.

Me said...

Can I get the "can of the month" package? Sign me up

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem is deciding if I should slice it thick and have my SPAM crispy only on the outside, or slice it thin and go for total crisp....D