Tuesday, September 11, 2007

For Stefens

Chiefs vs. Bears
I am so torn! For many years I have safely cheered for the Chiefs as my AFC team and the Bears as my NFC team. In all those happy years I have never had to deal with the type of crisis that I will face this Sunday when the two are going to play each other. I am going to Chicago to go to the game, of course, but what color is a girl supposed to wear?
I lean toward Kansas City because I grew up Chiefs fan. I remember rushing home from mass Sunday mornings to make the kickoff. I remember watching the games with the television muted and the radio in the living room turned up because my dad preferred listening to the guys at 101 "The Fox" over the moronic television commentators. I remember learning how to poor a beer so it had just the right amount of head and eating endless green pistachios in front of the T.V. I remember sharing a drink with Tony Gonzalez and painting my toenails the perfect shade of Chief's red. Football Sundays in Kansas City were freaking awesome. Go Chiefs!
Then I moved to Chicago and, unable to watch many KC games, the Bears swooped in to fill my Sunday afternoon void. If I am married to the Chiefs, I have had a long, loving (at times, more fulfilling) affair with the Bears. Da Bears. The Coach. The Fridge. The Shuffle. The Monsters of the Midway. How can I go to a Bears game and not sing "Bear Down"? How can I walk through the columns of Soldier Field wearing red? And it isn't just the boys on the team, I love the people of Chicago and the city itself and to be in Chicago and cheer for the visiting team. . . not so smart. Russ has been calling me a traitor for weeks.

No matter whom I choose, there will be betrayal and guilt; I will probably need all sorts of therapy afterwards. (Or, more likely, my first stiff drink in six weeks. Yes, you read that correctly, I have been dry for six, effen weeks. Mmm, Effen Black Cherry. . . yum.)

While we are back in Chi-town we will also be seeing a Broadway play, a Fire soccer game, a couple of Cubs games, and we are thinking about squeezing in a Notre Dame game (or at least some South Bend tailgating). Add in some quality family time, a couple deep-dish pizzas, and some real fall weather and I am set for a good vacation.

101 Things to do (or don't) before you die - #3:
Do win an award, trophy or prize.
Don't waste time hunting for the "best" parking spot.

- apparently lada is taking requests

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm probably wrong, but doesn't a Broadway play have to be on Broadway?

Me said...

I was using the term Broadway to conjure up images of big, colorful costumes and full-cast musical numbers.

ONE! SINGULAR SENSATION, EVERY LITTLE STEP SHE TAKES!

No? Fine, an "off-Broadway" play then...

Anonymous said...

I wasn't (for once) being sarcastic at all; I actually just don't know how theatre/Broadway works..