Friday, January 05, 2007

Sweet Home Chicago

The plan was a surprise visit to Chicago for my dad's 50th birthday. I wanted to catch him off guard so he would be really shocked.

He takes the train to and from downtown every day and I wanted to be on the same train from the airport. Now my dad has never been the most observant guy - we would be playing outside as children and would wave our little hearts out as Dad drove by on his way home from work, but he would never notice, never wave back (as a driver, it is always great to ignore the small children playing on the side of the road...). The man lives with blinders on. So I decided to sit by him on the train and see how long it would take for him to notice his own daughter.

I got to Union Station early enough to know that I beat him. Then I (and all my luggage) stood/hid behind this pillar. I waited and watched the stream of people pass by and after a bit he walked right past the pillar, not knowing that I was on the other side. I went into stealth mode and began to trail him while I sent a text messaging to Karen saying, "The target has been identified. I am in pursuit."
(I heart stealth mode.)

I followed him to the train car and ducked as he got on and sat down. I waited a few, gathered my stuff, got on the train, walked right past him and took the seat directly in front of his. He proceeded to not recognize the back of my head. (Later he tries to cover this saying, "Your hair looks different, did you change the color?") Suddenly my phone started ringing loud enough for the whole train to hear - and what did it play you ask - the Norte Dame fight song of course. I quickly silenced the phone, but heard Dad (an ND alum) chuckling behind me. He waited a few seconds, but couldn't help talking to a fellow ND fan on the night of the Sugar Bowl. So he struck up this conversation:

Dad: That's a great song.
I turned around with a big grin on my face
lada: It is isn't it!
The look on his face when he realized it is me - priceless.
Dad: Ah! [lada] what are you doing here?
lada: I came for your birthday!
Dad: What's wrong?
lada: Nothing, I wanted to surprise you for your birthday!
Dad: Is everything okay?
lada: YES, I came for your birthday!
Dad: ...
lada: Everything is fine. I just came to surprise you for your big 50th birthday!
Dad: Shhh - everyone on this train thinks I am much younger than that.

Apparently he assumed that after three years of marriage, Russ had kicked me out of the house and I was moving back in with them. Nice.

Happy Birthday Daddy!

If you are ever on Jeopardy (courtesy of Tim): In the 1970s the island of Nantucket was invited to become a part of the state of Kansas, despite the 1358 miles separating the two locales.

- lada shakes her money maker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Priceless!! I wish I had been there to witness it all...