Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Vegetable of a Different Color

  • Hens dabbing away tears as their eggs are pried from their clutching wings.

  • Cows udders chapped and bleeding from milk pumps. Them struggling to apply healing lotion with their hooves.
  • Lobsters wrapped in burn bandages, moaning in pain as they rock back and forth.

  • Runt pigs being put down because they are small (Zuckerman never knowing that the poor animal may be some terrific, humble, radiant pig).

  • Innocent oxen with stumps for tails, unable to swat away flies and gnats.

These are the scenes I pictures when I think of the moral reasons behind giving up meat. No not really, I think of much more gruesome pictures, but you get the idea.

I don't really eat a lot of meat (especially if it is the slightest bit pink, just the thought of raw meat turns my stomach) and I have been considering becoming a vegetarian for a long time - I just lack the motivation. A few weeks ago I borrowed a book from my vegetarian neighbor knowing that it will paint all sorts of horrible pictures about animal cruelty. Hopefully this will push me over the edge. But I am afraid it will do just that. I am torn.

I am can come up with a ton of reasons I would like to give up meat - some moral, some shallow (have you ever seen a fat vegetarian?). But I can also come up with two reasons not to:

1. I eat a lot of chicken
2. I don't eat a lot of vegetables

See the problem? How can you be a vegetarian and not eat veggies constantly? I do eat some, salads and stuff, but I just don't see them replacing chicken. I like chicken a lot (and tuna and turkey and cold pork chops and Spam). So, the book has been sitting unopened on my kitchen table because I am afraid to read it. But then I remember that I almost threw up twice on Christmas - once making the meatloaf and once eating the meatloaf - and I know I will read it soon. We'll see what happens. Wish me luck one way or the other.

If you're ever on Jeopardy: Typically, a person's forearm (measured form elbow to wrist) is the same length as their foot.

- lada and the blowfish

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to agree that when i think about all the horrible things that are done to the animals it makes me really sad, however, i still like meat enough to eat it. props to anyone that has the willpower to stop. keep me posted...

Anonymous said...

Uhhh...I don't think they make veggie Skyline dude...

Me said...

(expletive)(expletive)(expletive)