Monday, July 09, 2007

Bateau est Beau

There seems to be a lot of boat naming talk floating around in my life lately (get it, floating - wink, nudge) and it reminded me of a ship's name I saw on some television show or movie. I remembered thinking it was a clever name that was a play on some foreign phrase, but couldn't seem to recall what it was. So, I went online to hunt it down. I never figured out what the show was (some 007 movie perhaps?), but I did find the name of the boat - Sea Vous Play. ("S'il vous plaît" is of course, "please" in French.) And during the hunt for this particular name, I came across many others that were just too damn clever.

For Fun
Aye Candy
Hipnautic
Molly Brown
First Born
Tip-Sea
Nauti and Nice
Clairbuoyant
Pier Pressure
Which Craft?
Flip Me Over and Pour Me Out (written upside down)*
Ship Happens
Running Errands

Sea Life
A-fishionado
Just for the Halibut
That's a Moray
Bass Ackwards
Street Sea Urchin

For the Sailboat
Sail la Vie
Between the Sheets
For Sail
Mast Confusion

Hollywood
Cod Father
Scene Isle
Isle Be Back
Bait's Motel
A Three Hour Tour

Specific Ethnicity
Czech Mate
Irish Ayes
Sea Señor
Ahoy Vey

Job Related
Tooth Ferry
Freudian Ship
A Loan At Sea
A Born Sails Man
Gone Fission
Sea + +
Port Folio
Aquasition

And these two took me a moment to figure out
A One Anna Tuna
Noah Genda

Quote of the day - the Water Rat (of Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame): "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing."

- lada swabs the poop deck

*I came up with this one on my own and I must say, I am quite proud of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "work no Moor" for the retirees.

Cuff

Randy said...

There are two vessels named 'Sea Vous Play' - a fishing boat in Florida that's appeared on both 'CSI Miami' and the last season of 'The Sopranos.' The other one is a 37' sailboat on the west coast - I used to own that boat, and my ex-wife came up with the name before we knew about the Miami boat.