Thursday, September 28, 2006

When Heather Comes to Town

I've decided (because I'm lazy) that anyone who visits me in Southy will be a guest author on lada land. I conveniently made this decision this week because Heather happens to be in town. So, without further ado, here's Heather. - lada's on vacation

So I just finished taking step 2 of my board exams, which, for those who don't speak to me regularly, is something that I am ecstatic to have behind me. I had a week off before having to jump back into work, so I decided to come visit my best friend in the whole world, lada. I had not seen the new house yet, and really, who needs a reason to visit your BFF? We had lots of relaxation planned with plenty of fun activities in between.

We went to Charleston on Tuesday because I may be moving there next year for work. It started out with lunch at a cute restaurant on Isle of Palms called Poe's (one of the best Bloody Marys I've had), then we walked the beach and took some pictures. On the way back into Charleston proper, we crossed the amazingly cool new bridge.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We then headed to the complex of hospitals to check out where I may be spending the next few years of my life. The day was ours after that, so we browsed through a tourist book to see what interesting things the city had to offer. We saw an add for an artist that makes bottle cap mosaics, but unfortunately the book only gave what area of town it was in and a phone number. Not wanting to drive around for hours to find this potentially cool gallery, I called the number listed in the book. Here's how the conversation went:

Woman: Hello?
Me:Hi, I was calling to get your address.
Woman: (after some silence) Ummm, who is this?
Me: Heather.
Woman: (more silence)
Me: Is this the bottle cap mosaic place?
Woman: Oh, yes!! I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to find my address to send me stuff in the mail.
Me: No, my friend and I saw your ad in a book and we wanted to take a look.
Woman: OK, I am located at (address I can't remember). Please tap on the window and I'll let you in (um, what?). I'll be here for another hour and a half.

Ok, so seriously, at this point I'm thinking that this is some woman who let's people into her house to look at her art/kill them. Weird. Strangers walking around your house and they probably won't buy anything anyway. So lada and I start heading that way to see how sketchy the area/house was. The streets kept getting more and more questionable, so we decided to skip the cool bottle cap art (sorry woman - I hope you didn't wait around for us).

Next stop - driving around the ever-so-cute King St, which has many boutiques and other lovely places. We parked the car, walked around for a while, then went to a super nice hotel with a well known spot on the roof where you can have a drink and take in the city from above. We were enjoying our drinks when we overheard some guys behind us saying things that were less than becoming to the cute waitresses. So we try to ignore them while laughing at them, when, oh my god, they noticed us. "Hey, hey you at the bar. Hey! Yo! Yo!!" At this point lada turns around; we see that they are in fact dirty old men, and they ask her name. She replies:

lada: that's ok, "yo yo" is just fine.
guys: you must be cool if you will answer to yo yo.

So the guys continue to say "yo, yo!" until we just can't take it anymore, especially now that he's no longer saying yo in the way that was cool 10 years ago, but he is calling lada yo-yo, like the toy. Cheers to dirty old drunk guys trying to get away from their wives.

The day was pretty uneventful after that. We had a fabulous dinner (mmm, sushi) then drove home.

Quote of the day - Russ: Umm. . . Heather, did Harley eat one of your expensive shirts?

-Everyone loves a visit from Woody

No comments: