Thursday, February 08, 2007

Random Thoughts

This might mean something in five or so years

Let's say I have a child.
Let's say Russ and I both work, so we have that child in daycare.
Let's say that child takes his first steps while at daycare - or perhaps says his first word. Do I want them to tell me, the busy earning a living parent, that I missed that moment in my child's life? Or do they not tell me, and when I hear that first "mama," experience the joy of (what I wrongly assume is) the first word mumbled by the fruit of my loins? (Do women have loins or does that just refer to men?)

Is that just the price we pay for choosing to work? There are sacrifices either way.

But what if only one parent is working out of the house - is it better to call Russ at work and tell him Battle just took his first step, or do I not tell him and let the proud papa have that experience for himself when they have time together on the weekend?

Are firsts just over rated?

Quote of the day - Debbie: "You are going to gorilla hell!"

- lada breathes into a paper bag

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am a firm believer in having your own career as a mom. however, i also do not want a stranger raising my kids for the majority of the day at least until after they are 5 (no offense to my friends who are nannies...) because they are so impressionable at these tender young ages. I want my kid's personalities to be affected by me and my husband. Not the day care lady.

That being said, when a dilemma such as this comes to mind, it makes me glad i'm single and may always be single.

Anonymous said...

heed - two words: turkey baster

Anonymous said...

a turkey baster still requires a suitable source of fluids...not too many of those just floating around single.

Anonymous said...

Missing a first that only you would have remembered is kinda sad, but if you miss a first that they will remember...well they'll forgive but not forget... and how many of those can the face in the mirror take. D

Me said...

that is a very good point

Anonymous said...

Daws122: As a working parent,and soon to be daddy again all I have to say is that you will always be missing firsts. Know that everything you do has a purpose. As a parent you are going to instill beliefs and morals that they will take with them to daycare. Parenting is so scary. Will I have a good or bad child is a scary question.

This is my thought. Its not about the first times. There will be tons of them. I think the answer your looking for is...

Lada you're going to be a great mother.

Me said...

awwww... tear