Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Where am I?

Two situations where I felt out of place:

I went to the doctor the other day and noticed that I was the only white person there – the ten or so other patients, the receptionist, the assistants, the doctor – all black. And although I felt like everyone was looking at me wondering what the white girl was doing there, I sat there determined to make this office visit just like any other doctor visit because I am not affected by the color of a person’s skin. And not only was I determined to make this visit like any other doctor’s office visit, but five minutes into the wait and I had already decided that I was going to keep this doctor as my regular doctor and come back every year because, dammit, I am not affected by the color of a person’s skin.

It is a fairly nice office after all, I thought to myself while sitting in the waiting room, it looks clean and modern; it isn’t like it is in the ghetto or anything. NO WAIT! If I say that this office isn’t in the ghetto, am I then implying that another office with all black people would be in the ghetto? Am I treading on “Barrack is clean” ground? But I didn’t mean it that way! I'm not affected by the color. . . (whimper)

Of course by the end of the visit I knew I wasn’t going back – not for any racial reasons - the visit was fine. The problem was the shady doctor scheduled me for another appointment in six months. She didn’t even ask, just wrote me a prescription for only six months and handed me a slip of paper on my way out with my next appointment printed on it. I didn’t even get to pick the day of the week. This is a problem for me because I should only need to go in every twelve months to get my prescription and my insurance only covers one check up a year so I would have to pay for this silly six month visit out of my own pocket. Not happening, people. Dr. Heather agreed with me that it was a cheap scam for the office to get more money.
So, time for a new doctor.

Situation 2:

A couple weeks ago I was in Palm Springs for work. They set us up at pretty nice resort and gave us an afternoon out of the conference room to enjoy the California weather. They also gave us some spending cash, so that day I headed over to the resort’s spa for a little R & R. Now picture the type of person you think would be in Palm Springs, at a resort, at a spa - are you picturing a some rich, too tan women? I know what you didn’t picture is a group of guys who work at Guitar World. They were apparently also there for a work conference and were also taking the afternoon off.
So there I sit in the relaxation room waiting for my manicure appointment. I am the only one dressed. I am the only female. I am surrounded by a bunch of big, burly, mohawked, tattooed, middle-aged men in short, white, terrycloth bathrobes. They are sitting around holding their glasses of cucumber water waiting for their various spa treatments and having discussions like this one:

Potbelly: Rose is doing my facial today
Braided Goatee: Hell yeah! Rose is the best. I had her yesterday. I got the cleansing mask.
Potbelly: I heard she was really good. I'm stoked.
Braided Goatee: Rock on, dude.

Just another relaxing day at the spa.

If you're ever on Jeopardy: If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

- lada is an open book (but you don't know which page to turn to, do you?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i might pay good money to witness the type of men you described talking about facials. guys - the jig is up. we know you're not as tough as you think you are!

Anonymous said...

after losing their softball game today, yohan actually blamed his poor pitching on his not getting a manicure yesterday! in front of the rest of the guys. and no one blinked an eye...except for me, of course (i blinked enough for the team. and not just because i have pinkeye. stupid kids.).