Monday, October 29, 2007

Survival Plans

In light of the recent hurricanes, tsunamis, wildfires and locust plagues - Time magazine suggested that I make a list of items that I would grab (in ten minutes) to take with me in the event of an emergency evacuation. It was actually pretty hard to come up with stuff considering most things are replaceable these days.

1. The dogs - if we were stuck living in a tent city, they would serve as my own personal tongue bath (or a lite dinner if we got really desperate).
2. External hard drive - can I tell you how awesome it feels to know that I have uploaded almost every single picture I own and my entire musical library onto one easily transportable piece of plastic and metal?
3. File with personal papers - this is one of those answers that feels like you have to say it but the more I think about it, I realize that all of my accounts and policies are easily accessible online, the passport can be replaced and termite contract probably wouldn't matter much anymore. Never mind, I strike this lame answer off my list.
3. Books - I chose four: Eye of the World, signed by the recently deceased Robert Jordan; Slaughterhouse Five, stolen from my high school library after the bastards tried to kick me out and ban me; The Neverending Story, a spectacular gift from the DCM that represents everything I love about family, my childhood, and unsolved mysteries; The Bobbsey Twins, a copy given to my mother from her parents that she then passed down to me that I will one day give to Harley when she learns how to read.
4. The strand of pink pearls that decorated both my grandmother's neck on her wedding day and my wedding bouquet four years ago.
5. Food and water
6. Clean underwear and sneakers
7. Russ

The other doomsday question recently asked of me: What would you do if you found out you only had sixty minutes to live before a meteor destroys the planet? (Assuming phone lines are jam packed and you can't call anyone.)
As you would expect, common answers were sex and pray. An odd answer more than one person said was looting (morons).
Me? A really good meal with Russ and a snuggle with the puppies. Or, since they say it is better than sex and I would have nothing to lose, maybe a big shot of heroin.

101 Things to do (or don't) before you die - #8:
Do realize your childhood dream.
Don't worry about the inconsistencies on Gilligan's Island. (But if it was a three hour tour, why did the professor have stacks of books?)

- it wasn’t lada, it was the one-armed man

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where would you get heroin in an hour? That's as illogical as looting.