Monday, April 14, 2008

S.o.E.

This summer is now officially titled The Summer of Experiences.
I am going to try my hardest to be open to all kinds of new and different things that come my way (except bread pudding – never the bread pudding). I know it is a little early to be declaring it summer since it is only April, but summer officially began for me with the start of baseball season. And conveniently enough, baseball was actually my first new adventure in this Summer of Experiences:

1. Attend Cubs' opening day game.
Now if only I can add "see the Cubs win the World Series" to my list by the end of this summer.

My second new experience happened a couple days ago and, wow, it is exciting. (Drum roll, please)

2. Eat a pickle.
That’s right kids, I had never before had a pickle. Truthfully, I can’t stand even being close enough to smell them, let alone ever put one in my mouth. But, the opportunity presented itself the other night while I was out with friends in Raleigh, and in the true spirit of The Summer of Experiences, I ate a slice. I chewed it up, swallowed, and then drank half of my beer* in an effort to wash away the flavor. It was disgusting.

3. Write poetry
Though this isn’t a completely new experience, writing verse is not something I would ever normally do of my own volition. But I was told to write one, so I gave it a shot. I have been working on a particular poem for a several days now, and that one I will post when it is done; but in the meantime, you can have the first verse (the other three verses are just drivel) of this other one that popped into my head while I was driving yesterday afternoon.

Blister in the Moon

I still have the blister on my heel
That I earned the last time we walked
Every time it rubs, every time it hurts
It reminds me of you and I sulk


101 Things to do (or don't) before you die - #36:
Do visit every country (or at least every continent).
Don't spend your loose change.

- parsley, sage, rosemary, and lada*

*You love that Oxford comma don't you, Karen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i heart adverbs, semi-colons, and Oxford commas!

(please make that shirt for me!)